Christmas is coming! Here are some tips on how you can still make it a season of goodwillTuesday 17 November 2020
If you weren’t already aware of it, the TV adverts are telling us that Christmas is coming! It’s that time of year when many bands go out onto the streets to play carols and earn enough money to see them through the next 12 months.
This year, because of the current Coronavirus limitations on social get-togethers, bands will not be able to do that. There are other ways, however, of spreading a little festive cheer in your communities.
Here is a list of some suggestions as to how you can share the Christmas spirit and maybe even get your coffers jingling with badly-need cash:
• If you already have a CD of your band playing Christmas music, ask your local supermarket to play it over their speaker system and get them to display a sign requesting donations to a JustGiving.com account or similar online donation platform
• This method may also work with your local council playing your music over a town centre public address system
• Where regional restrictions permit, you could get a socially-distanced group of up to six players from two different households to record some Christmas carols outside for distribution on a CD to your local nursing and care homes
• Make a virtual recording of Christmas carols or seasonal music – or even a whole concert programme – and circulate the details of where the video can be found online to local care homes, hospitals and community organisations where you would normally play
• Open an account on the easyfundraising.org.uk website and make money every time friends, family and banding colleagues make an online purchase of Christmas (or other) gifts
• Get your local newspaper to run an article on how you would like to keep the Christmas spirit going musically and get them to publicise how or where people can access your music and ask for donations which are essential to ensure the band survives during these difficult times
• The traditional means of taking cash via a collection box or bucket is not recommended in order to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. However, if this is the only way you can take money, make sure the coins and (plastic covered) notes are sprayed with disinfectant and left to stand for 24 hours before counting the cash
• Finally, it is proposed to have an Advent Calendar of carols and seasonal tunes as a countdown to Christmas on the SBBA website. If your band – or any individual players – would like to record a favourite carol or melody to be featured (with or without soloist accompaniment), please contact email@example.com and we shall try to include it in the 25-day schedule. PLEASE NOTE: If you are a young brass player who wishes to take part in this seasonal celebration, please download this consent form for your parent / guardian / carer to sign.