NYBBS grand finale concert to be livestreamed on YouTube – tune in at 6pm on FridayThursday 5 August 2021
The programme for the NYBBS end-of-course summer concert, which will be live streamed on YouTube tomorrow evening, starting at 6pm, has been finalised.
The week-long course has been building up to this three-hour grand finale which is being broadcast from the theatre at Strathallan School in Perthshire.
You can tune in via this link https://youtube.com/watch?v=uvF8sPEJiCs&feature=share
The repertoires for the concert are as follows:
· Festmusik der Stadt Vien – Richard Strauss
· Thula Baba – trad. African
· March for a Festive Occasion – Eric Osterling
· Hymn for Africa – Peter Meechan
· A Summer Overture – Alan Fernie (SBBA commission, premiere performance)
· Ejala – Jan Magne Forde
· Blue - Thomas Gansch
· Oyema – Gareth Bowman
· To Catch a Spark - Iain Mundy
· Elegy - Leigh Baker
· Honey Pie - Lennon & McCartney arr. Sandy Smith
· Fives for Brass - Gareth Bowman
· Suo-Gan, Mvt 2 from Celtic Suite - Philip Sparke
· Funked Up! - Cameron Mabon
· Music for Jock Tamson - Alan Fernie
· Vienna Philharmonic Fanfare - Richard Strauss arr. Andy Austin
· The Golden Pen - Wilfred Heaton edited by Paul Hindmarsh
· Here, There and Everywhere - Lennon & McCartney arr. Sandy Smith, featuring Andrew McMillan and Thomas Kobine on tenor horn
· Alloway Tales - Peter Graham, narrator Carrie Boax
· ‘Elegy’ from A Downland Suite - John Ireland
· The New Colonial (March) - R B Hall
· Golden Sands - Iona McVicar (2019 SBBA Young Composer winner), featuring Charlie Boax on baritone
· Breezin’ Down Broadway – arr. Goff Richards
· Moon River - Henri Mancini arr. Daniel Hall
· I Will Follow Him - Plante, Pourcel, Maurit & Gimbel arr. Goff Richards featuring the trombone section
· A Buoy - Stan Nieuwenhuis
SBBA is grateful to a whole host of individuals and organisations for their help and support in putting on this NYBBS summer school. First of all, thanks to musical directors of the three bands – Alan Fernie (Children’s), John Boax (Reserve) and Ian Porthouse (Senior) – and conductor emeritus Richard Evans, as well as course tutors Richard Poole, Sheona Wade, Brett Baker, Les Neish, Mark Landon, Gareth Bowman, Phillippa MacDougall, Charlie Farren, Caroline Farren, Stuart Black and Gary Williams.
Also thanks go to Creative Scotland and Youthwork Scotland for financial support, Nigel Durno of Just Music, Ronnie Tennent of Band Supplies, Largs Printing, Tracy Pattinson and the staff at Strathallan school, the SBBA executive, especially Peter Fraser for administration assistance and Tom Allan and his many family members.
In addition, pastoral staff for the three bands are appreciated: Jim Milligan, Jennifer Cook, Tom Allan, Adam Allan, Elaine Roxburgh, Lesley Crumlish, Gemma Wilson, Damian Martin, Blair Colins, Carol Moore and Lynsay Brown, together with guests Leanne Porthouse and Sarah Baker, and librarian Jim Wishart, James McGoldrick (social media) and Jim Doyle (photography).
“Others to acknowledge include the many people who have helped to make up welcome packs, count merchandise, T-shirts and hoodies as they arrived,” added SBBA president and course coordinator Carrie Boax. “It really has been a family affair. Teamwork has for sure made the NYBBS 2021 dream work!”