St. Ronan's Silver Band is based in Innerleithen in the Scottish Borders.
Formed in 1810, today it is Scotland's oldest band and is one of the most
active organisations in the area, playing at over forty events across the
Borders and beyond each year.
The Band provides training for new brass and percussion players who
graduate to the St. Ronan's Future Band. The Band also operates a training
programme for all players and regularly works with top brass and percussion
players and tutors. Several St. Ronan's youngsters are also members of the
National Youth Brass Band of Scotland, each player receiving a grant from the
Band to help with the fee.
The Band regularly promotes its own concerts, featuring the main band, the
Future Band and guest bands and is a leading player in the renowned St.
Ronan's Tattoo held bi-annually in the grounds of Traquair House. The Band
plays a pivotal role in St. Ronan's Border Games & Cleikum Ceremonies
The Band competes regularly and became Scottish Champions in the Fourth
Section in 1999, going on to represent Scotland in the UK finals where they
gained fifth place. The Band became Borders Champions in 2001 and 2003.
Other contest successes have been achieved at the Carnegie Contest, West of
Scotland Championships, Fife Charities, Brass in the Park and the Forth Valley
Championships. St. Ronan's was promoted to the second section in 2003,
going on to win there in 2007.
The Band has travelled to Innerleithen's twin town in France on two
occasions and made a very successful concert trip to Norway in 2003 with a tour
of Arran in 2010. A second CD was came out in 2003 entitled, "From
Leithenside" and the third recording, "On, St. Ronan's, On!" was released in 2010 to
mark the Band's bicentenary.
The Band is entirely self-supporting and relies upon fund-raising efforts,
donations and engagements to maintain the high standards already set and
to run the main Band, Future Band and training groups.
Senior Band - Tuesdays 7.15pm & Fridays 7.00pm
Brass Training Group - Fridays 4pm
Percussion Group - Thursdays 6pm
Future Band - Thursdays 7.15pm
Rehearsal Venue - Band Hall, Hall Street, Innerleithen, EH44 6QT
Keith Bellville Braeside Wells Brae Innerleithen EH44 6JE
Hall Street, Innerleithen. EH44 6QT
- Places still available for SBBA’s second online wellbeing workshop
- Delayed anniversary concert to celebrate 50-year milestone
- Northern Counties contest is cancelled for this year
- Edinburgh University band drums up appeal for marching percussion
- Ukrainian national anthem arranged for brass band by Alan Fernie
- Chance to see Clackmannan in concert from St Andrews
- Platinum Jubilee spectacular is unique opportunity for youth band
- Back-to-back concerts herald a busy season for Coalburn bands
- Kirkton seeks players to help out at Armadale Gala
- Opportunity to sign up for second wellbeing workshop